Reasons to Drive by a Home Before Deciding to See it in Person
Why should you drive by homes and explore the local area when looking for a new home?
Searching for the right home these days can be a challenge. Limited inventory means competition, and the restrictions as a result of the pandemic make arranging showings more complicated. You have to use your time wisely. Taking the time to drive by a property, or a number of properties, of interest makes a lot of sense so you don’t waste time arranging a showing, only to drive through the neighborhood and up to the house and feel it was a mistake.
At the same time, depending on your local market conditions you may have to move quickly, given the competition, so a new listing that will work for your needs and budget does not slip through your fingers. You might have to go right to a showing and forget a preview drive-by so you don't miss out. The MLS listing can and will only show you so much about a home, and while the details of a listing are important in order to decide if the property meets your requirements, there are a few reasons a drive-by makes sense.
- You get to see the area around the home the MLS listing likely doesn’t show you.
- Maybe there’s a reason that’s been omitted... You might find the general location is fine, OR it may not appeal to you at all, even though the house does.
- And in this time of the pandemic why spend time touring homes, despite all the precautions, if it’s not the right property?! It makes sense, of course, to drive by multiple homes you like.
- You can learn what the shopping is and where, especially grocery stores, and how far away it is from the house.
- Explore nearby services, recreational activities depending on what’s important to you and your lifestyle.
- Evaluate commuting routes and traffic patterns especially roads adjacent to the property, and check out commuting distances.
- Listen to noises, road noise can be a big deterrent for many people. The MLS won’t give you this information and you can’t always tell from looking at the map! Check out views which may be important to you OR that you might not like. The MLS photos may be primarily of the house and yard, and not necessarily the views, especially if the views are lacking or not positive.
Driving by is a quick way to start moving towards putting in an offer for your new home!
The Stephanie Woods Team Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate BloomTree Realty 928-237-4455 prescottazhomefinder.com
Latest Blog Posts
Why should you drive by homes and explore the local area when looking for a new home? Searching for the right home these days can be a challenge. Limited inventory means competition, and